Monday 13 December 2010

5 Mins with New York based designer Britney Frady-Williams ...

We caught up with Futuristic New York-based designer Britney Frady-Williams who will be returning to the LGN Events’ off-schedule London Fashion Week show “A La Mode” in February 2011...Read on to find out more about her new collection from her label 'Berit New York' and what she thought of London...
You showcased for the first time in London last season, can you tell us a bit more about that experience?

It was a very surreal experience, getting to see my work go down the runway. It was kind of intimidating, as well, but I learned so much just from being there. It was definitely a milestone for Berít New York.

What are some of your favourite things about London?

Everything, haha! The stores, the culture, the history, the buildings – people knowing things like basic courtesy and etiquette! London is my second home. Every time I leave, I can’t wait to get back.

Tell us a bit about your new collection:

I am very excited about it because I am debuting a new menswear line, which is based on combination of medieval, samurai and fantasy styles. The theme for my womenwears collection is medieval fairies meeting Japanese “Mori Girls.” I’ve really been inspired by Mori Girl style lately, and wanted to include it as a prominent feature in the collection. For both men and women, you will be seeing lots of hooded cloaks, capes and full, flowing garments. The colors will be somewhat subdued for autumn, but still shiny and vivid.

What matters to you most as a fashion designer?

To me, it’s about being able to provide quality clothing that connects my vision to the customer. I want it to be unique, and I want it to make a statement to the world.

Whose wardrobe would you like to own for a day?

That is a tough one! There are lots of wardrobes I’d love to dive into, but ultimately I would have to say Tarja Turunen the ex singer from Nightwish. I have admired her style since I was a teen, and I think it is similar to my own.

What is the best piece of advice you’ve been given?

Well, from my mom, really; she just always said to follow your dreams and don’t let anyone stop you.

What has been the greatest challenge so far?

So far it has come from seeing critical and artistic success and knowing that my work has been and would be accepted in many circles, but then still struggling with the financial aspect. The whole starving artist lifestyle gets old eventually.

What future plans do you have for the label?

I would like to see Berít New York expand into two separate lines each season for menswear and womenswear, as well as getting my designs into more stores by the end of 2011. There are some plans in development for some new textiles and elements that I want to incorporate into my designs, too, but I don’t want to get too ahead of myself.

Don't miss Berit New York's return to London during London Fashion Week. For more information visit www.beritnewyork.com / www.lagenevenorthevents.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment