Friday 17 December 2010

Catching up with Award Winning Romanian designer Belinda Lui...

We caught up with Award Winning Romanian-based designer Belinda Liu who will be returning to the LGN Events’ off-schedule London Fashion Week show “A La Mode” in February 2011...Read on to find out more about her new collection from her self-titled label ' Belinda Liu' and what she thought of London...

You showcased for the first time in London last season, can you tell us a bit more about that experience?

I am thankful for the London experience. First of all, I have noticed how important it is to showcase in a foreign country. Fashion is supposed to have little barriers and be the same everywhere, but still every location has its own specifics. And then it was not just any foreign place, it was London which to me is the cradle of peachiness in fashion. There are a lot o professionals around the world but there aren't many professionals that manage to be that cool at the same time. I have witnessed this with regards to London organizers, press, hair stylists, make-up artists, photographers etc. This attitude of people around makes one feel more relaxed and confident. This was important to me.

What are some of your favourite things about London?

A lot of energy is wasted in the world in conflicts about race, sex, religion. Social pressure on these topics is huge in jurisdictions I have been to and lived in. I was a Chinese in Romanian and a Romanian in China. In crucial moments modern people prove to be narrow minded, rigid and absurd. Pick a simple topic like the role of women in family and society in a conversation in a European capital and you'd be horrified. But London must be the world promoter of tolerance. So many races living together, working together and interacting like this was the normal way. You may take that for granted if you live in London but coming from outside it is a special feeling of normality for me. People probably only start to judge you if you are out on the street and not hip enough. I like watching people on the street. It is a good feeling to be there. I also love people in London being so open about sports and art, particularly music.

Tell us a bit about your new collection:

This collection is very imposing: long , sexy dresses with even longer trails, lace and transparent materials. I tend to call this collection dark, because I mainly use black, and the woman wearing one of those dresses is sumptuous and luxurious. An appearance that becomes the centre of focus whenever and wherever she wears the dress. The transparency and luscious look causes a solid visual impact to the viewer.

You have just launched your bridal collection and lingerie line. Can you tell us a bit more about that and what inspired to launch them?

I needed to do something pure and glamorous. The collection reflected the mood I had when I started it. I also felt the need to react against an increasing trend of people treating marriage superficially. This time I somehow needed to show a more conservative approach to it. This is why I used ivory white and a lot of embroidery, trails, crinolines, silk, satin, tule. I had a man dressed up as a bride. This was my way to fight against bluntness in Romania with regards to homosexuality. Social pressure is so high that gay people are still afraid to admit their sexual orientation even to their families, not to mention peers etc. Fashion is such a powerful instrument... and I am not afraid to use it! Also it seems that this collection was a lucky one. The night I showcased I also received the award for the best young Romanian fashion designer in year 2010.

What future plans do you have for the label?

I would like the Belinda Liu label to expand internationally. I intend to travel and showcase more abroad in the near future.

Don't miss Belinda Liu’s return to London during London Fashion Week. For more information visit www.belindaliu.com / www.lagenevenorthevents.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment