Thursday 17 June 2010

Catching up with designer Kerry Knowles…

We quickly caught up with emerging designer Kerry Knowles who will be showcasing at our Movida Catwalk Show tonight!

1) What inspired to you to pursue a career in the fashion industry?
I have always been a creative person and as I've gone through education I've followed what I've been good at. I was inspired to do something I enjoyed and would be committed to follow.

2) Who are your biggest influences?
My family, they have always been amazingly supportive with my desire to pursue a career as a designer. Also all the people that appreciate my work.

3) From the look of your collections, minimalism is something which is present in each garment. What is it about the minimalistic look that you like so much?
My focus has always been about attention to detail even if it is very small detailing, that's why I fell in love with tailoring. By creating a minimalistic look it can give more emphasis on the shape and clean lines creating an effortless elegance.
4) In 2007, you won the Womenswear Designer of The Year Award from the UUFA. After winning that award, how much more recognition did you gain and supporters?
The award was a public vote so it was great to see the amount of support I had with that collection. I was then approached by the director of the Masters course at the London College of Fashion and invited to come to the university. I then focused my attention on creating my new collection, I am really happy that I had the chance to do it as it made me develop my skills further as a designer.

5) Who is your demographic? What type of man or woman would wear your clothes?
Someone who enjoys luxurious fabrics and tailored silhouettes. They are also not afraid to try something new and experiment with conceptual ideas.
6) Which other fashion designers do you admire?
There have been so many amazing creative designers throughout history, but my favorites are Channel, Armani, Ted Baker, and Jill Sander. Each one has created something unique within luxury clothing for their customers.

7) What is the most difficult aspect of running your own label versus i.e. design, production, sales, finance, advertising?
I think each area has its own difficulties and only through experience and learning from that things can become easier.
8) What do you believe makes a quality article of clothing?
Fine fabrics are important also attention to detail. If a garment is well made then it will maintain shape and last longer.

9) How would you describe your garments in three words?
Tailored, Luxurious, Minimal

10) What one piece of advice would you give to someone wanting to start a career in fashion?
To gain as much commercial experience as possible through work experience. It is really important for someone setting out on their career to be creative but to also be aware about how the industry really works.

Words by Leah Sinclair
Find out more about Kerry's designs and label at - http://www.kerryknowles.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment