Monday 5 July 2010

5 Mins with Emerging Designer Nikolo Bertok...

We quickly caught up with emerging designer Nikolo Bertok who will be showcasing his new collection during London Fashion Week at the 'A La Mode' Catwalk Show...

What inspired you to enter the fashion world?

I started as a sales assisant in a shop of fine fabrics when I was 15, and so I embarked on a path in fashion very quickly. I did a lot of typical assistant- running duties for designers and companies as you could see in the popular movie The Devil Wears Prada. Then I decided to become a designer in my own right when I was 16-17. I said to myself that I got amazing experience just in one year and met a lot of interesting people and designers from around the world as for example Jean Claude Jitrois in 2007 and his collection which I saw backstage and found truly inspiring.
My mother always dreamed of becoming a Fashion Designer, but she didn´t. So in a way I am making her dreams come true for myself.

What inspires your designs and how do you acquire your creative edge?

This is very personall for me doing a collection. I get inspired by emotions and experiences in my daily life. Trying to be a bit different from other designers. I would like to be part of the process of moving the fashion into a new futuristic aspect. I do acquire my creative edge seeing others wearing my designs. That means I fulfilled my wish/ I achieved my goal to make people feel happy.

Has your experience in the fashion industry matched your perception of the fashion world?

No. It didn't match and it never will. There are always millions of new aspects to be learned and discovered. Fashion is one of the most varied way to express the past experience into a new element. Fashion is about making the history.

You have been likened to acclaimed designer Valentino. What are your thoughts on this and is Valentino an influence in your designs?

It is such an honour to be likened to Valentino in this way as reported in the media, but one must not forget that people are sometimes bewildered and say things such as I am the future Valentino. I would rather say that I am just myself and not pretending to be someone else, nor do I want to be. Everyone is different, which is the most beautiful thing in the world. All great designers such as Valentino, Versace, Margelia, Ferre, Galliano, Chanel or Dior are the names who laid the path for us, new designers. And they play a huge role and have enormous influence on the design of today and the future. I am always amazed by their work, especially of their early collections.

What makes your designs different yet appealing to your target market/buyers? Who is the 'Nikolo Bertok' customer?

A customer who is wearing ´Nikolo Bertok´ is very confident. My designs are for people who are not afraid to show their real and strong personality. People who want to feel different and special, to discover the undiscovered and be always a step ahead of others.



If you had just one word to describe fashion what would it be?

Glory.

For more info on Nikolo Bertok visit www.nikolobertok.com

Interview by Lauren Briggs

Don’t Miss Nikolo Bertok’s show which will be taking place on Friday 17th September 2010 during London Fashion Week at the Luxurious Charing Cross Hotel.
Press and buyers interested in attending need to email theresa@lagenevenorth.co.uk

Limited public tickets are available at www.lagenevenorthevents.co.uk/events.html

No comments:

Post a Comment