We caught up with Romanian Designer, Belinda Liu, who will be showcasing her fabulous designs at the 'A La Mode' London Fashion Week Catwalk show in September, to learn more about her brand and why she's a fan of Karl Lagerfield and Vivienne Westewood... Read on
1. What inspired you to pursue a career in the fashion industry?
I have been leaving a mark on garments that came into my hands as far back as I can remember. Be it coloring trousers, changing appearance of shoes, making dresses for myself, or even for my dolls back when I was a kid. Pursuing a career came naturally, I guess. I felt I could dress up others, doing it for myself only was half the satisfaction.
2. What is your main source of inspiration in designing?
3. You say that your philosophy on your fashion line is trying to obtain perfection in feminism. What do you consider the perfect feministic look and why is this the main source and inspiration for your collection?
Women are supposed to be women. That is why we actually all love them. I can think of no reason to justify a distortion of that. While seeking perfection in feminism I think back of women's origin. Of their original role. Delicate, sensual, beautiful and yet so powerful. This is what brings a collection to life. A collection is there mere expression women's attributes.
4. What's your favourite decade for fashion?
5. How would you describe your garments in three words?
Glamorous but wearable.
6. What is your favourite season for fashion?
Autumn. Late autumn.
7. Which other fashion designers do you admire?
Karl Lagerfeld for his proficiency (and for preserving Chanel's lines), Vivienne for her attitude.
8. What is the most difficult aspect of running your own label versus i.e. design, production, sales, finance, advertising?
Creation does not always fit together with management. Setting my mind on the day to day management issues... that sucks.
9. What do you hope to have achieved in the industry, 10 years from now?
World wide recognition would be nice.
10. What advice would you give to other aspiring fashion designers?
Don't mind fashion trends
Don’t Miss Belinda’s show which will be taking place on Saturday 18th September 2010 during London Fashion Week at the Luxurious Charing Cross Hotel.
Press and buyers interested in attending need to email firstname.lastname@example.org
Limited public tickets are available at www.lagenevenorthevents.co.uk/events.html