Wednesday 21 July 2010

5 mins with emerging label Flik Hall...

What inspired you to enter the fashion world?
My mum was an antique dealer when I was growing up so I became fascinated with fine details really early on. I have always been very aware of fashion and how much it is influenced by our culture. What we choose to dress ourselves in whether it is glamourous or not tells a story and shows how we feel which is where my main interest for fashion stems from. I always saw myself as an Artist and being a Designer was my way to combine Art with the human body.

How was it like working at House of Holland and Giles Deacon?
Both were very different and a great experience. I don’t think any designer is fully aware of what they’re going into until they have worked in the industry.


Tell us a bit about your current collection and the inspirations behind it?
My current collection is inspired by porcelain doll limbs that I found both confronting and intriguing. I wanted to create a visual dialogue about the possibilities and limits of body modification. I tried to portray this using prints of body parts mixed with goat hair making the outcome seem half human, half animal, creating an aesthetic that is beautiful only on the border of disgusting.

Which fabrics do you enjoy working with?
I like to use a high octane mix of materials. For my new Collection I used fabrics such as goat hair, coarse raffia, and pearly leather. I like to use fabrics with contrasting features that contrast with each other.

What has been your biggest challenge?
Money, production, time...

What's your two favourite fashion items for this year?
The Givenchy lace up red lace up boots they did this season, an Iris Van Herpen dress – their amazing.

What makes your designs different yet appealing to your target market/buyers? Who is the 'Flik Hall' customer?
Her style is timeless because it’s all about attitude rather than current trends. She will feel confident and powerful in the clothing. Age doesn’t really concern me; I’m more interested in personality and the way a woman carries herself.

If you can select any celebrity to front your campaign who would it be?
Erin O’Connner

Which other designers do you admire?
Hussein Chalayan, Marios Shwab,



Don’t Miss Flik Hall’s show which will be taking place on Saturday 18th September 2010 during London Fashion Week at the Luxurious Charing Cross Hotel.

Press and buyers interested in attending need to email theresa@lagenevenorth.co.uk

Limited public tickets are available at www.lagenevenorthevents.co.uk/events.html

W: http://flikhall.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment