Friday 9 July 2010

Valery Kovalska give us an insight into their brand and why music is one of their major influences…

Why did you choose to pursue a career in the fashion industry?

In general, I did not choose, everything just happened (or maybe it was destined). For a long time I worked as a TV and concert stylist, and sometimes I couldn't find the right item, therefore I would sew pieces of clothing by myself. It was a great experience and even now, when I have my own manufacturing facilities, I still use every opportunity to sew by hand. So one day I realised that I was ready to make a collection and I did it.

Who/What are your biggest influences?

Music. It gives mood to my clothes. People constantly being under different influences. The main thing is to feel yourself and be able to present it right.


Can you describe your collection in three words.

Young, confident, mystery

Tell us about the inspiration for your current collection.

I found my main inspiration in the powers of nature, their beautiness and inscrutability. Colors, shapes and even mood - that's all of them. For a while I have been keen on some kind of psychedelic melancholy in music. And the complete result of this is still unknown. And of course - beautiful faces and personalities always attract and inspire me.

Your collection involves soft and neutral colors, is this common to your
overall design aesthetic?

Actually yes, I liked natural colors very much - from the all pastel shades - to deep blue and coral. But I do adore black

Do you regularly follow what’s happening in the Industry?

Yes, I am constantly watching new collections and fashion stories of well-known and new designers. International fashion informational stream is very fast, designers nowadays should be very informed about what is going on in the fashion industry. To do something new, new or old. There is nothing wrong with it.

Do you favour using any particular fabrics in your designs?

I like to experiment with different textures and I am always looking for new-tech fabrics. But nevertheless I like classic materials - silk, cotton, viscose.

How would you describe your own personal style?

Sex, drugs, rock`n'roll !

What do you enjoy most about designing?

The most amazing process for me is to construct - bringing an idea into life. This step is the most complicated but also the most interesting.

What advice would you give to other young aspiring designers hoping to break into the fashion industry?

First of all you need to be a professional from the beginning and to do everything possible to maintain that.

Don’t Miss Valery Kovalska’s show which will be taking place on Saturday 18th September 2010 during London Fashion Week at the Luxurious Charing Cross Hotel.

Press and buyers interested in attending need to email theresa@lagenevenorth.co.uk

Limited public tickets are available at www.lagenevenorthevents.co.uk/events.html

W: http://val-kovalska.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment